Monday, April 11, 2011

The Shrimp Bisque that Changed My Life

I'm 37 years old, and I've always hated shrimp. Until tonight, I had never once (and here's an instance when literally actually applies) tasted a dish containing shrimp that did not make me want to gag. I'm not proud of this. In fact, I'd like to think that I, as a mature adult, possess the capability to overcome silly childhood food aversions. Sadly, no, this particular visceral loathing has always been there. If you've ever felt this way, I hope you'll share my excitement about the fact that I had shrimp bisque for dinner and adored it!

But this (you have to admit, monumental) victory is not the only reason my 4 percent came easily today. I got to spend the evening with two of my girlfriends, drinking wine and enojoying homemade food. Few situations make me happier than this. Tonight, as is typical after talking with these ladies, I walked away with new perspectives and questions to explore. Each of us happens to be working on some sort of writing project, and one friend asked the others, "Why do you want to write?"

For me, one answer emerged that I wasn't expecting. I slowly came to the realization that--just maybe--I might sort of, kind of, need to get better at being vulnerable. In recent years I've become quite the problem solver. Somebody's got to figure things out and fix them, so why not jump in try to make it happen? And this quality's not entirely a bad thing--until some days, when it is. Because, you see, as you just may have discovered once or twice, problem solving doesn't always work. Sometimes, vulnerability's the only way. Where I'm going with this--in the blog and in my life--I can't say for sure. All I know is I'm curious enough to want to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment