Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Sliver of Peace

This blog came into being several nights ago, late, as I stared mindlessly at my Facebook page. I'd already watched my requisite hours of TV, feeling too drained to come up with any other alternatives. This routine had gone on for days, and I was tired of being tired. But just then, an unexpected thing happened. I came across a blog link one of my coworkers had posted, "How to Steal Like An Artist (and 9 Other Things Nobody Told Me)" by Austin Kleon. Within 30 seconds of my finishing the article, a sentence emerged from somewhere deep in my being: "I want to live like this."

"I want to live like this." Can you think of a statement more full of promise? Even now, I like the way this mingling of words feels, as though it almost floats. I once had a colleague who said she'd "seel" words, especially colors, meaning she'd see and feel them at the same time. I've always been a practical type, and I don't envision becoming a "seeler" anytime soon. Even so, I like the idea that, just this once, I actually know what she meant.

And so, here I sit, wondering at something, inviting others to wonder with me. Like Austin Kleon, I'm grateful to be alive right now, in a world with such possibility for connection. Okay, granted, only 3 people besides me even know this blog exists, but already there's a sliver of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment